Monday, April 29, 2013

The Magicians

The Magicians is definitely not one of my favorites. Being a Harry Potter fan, there was just something annoying about how obvious The Magicians takes from the Harry Potter series (as well as the Chronicles of Narnia. There's a lot taken from there as well). One thing that I didn't mind was they made the concept of magic a more realistic dynamic. When I think of learning magic, I don't think of it being as easy as they show in the Harry Potter series. At least they have to work at it in the Magicians.
That, mixed with the fact that the main character is an annoying, whiney, miserable brat just made for a really unejoyable read. There were a few parts that I began to get into, but I just couldn't handle how much I didn't like the book. Honestly, I didn't even finish it.
A friend of mine read it, and if I recall correctly mentioned that this is actually a series of books. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is maybe they get better as the series go on, but I sure won't be finding that out. If I couldn't even get through the first one, I don't think I could get through any of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment